Thursday, March 22, 2012

Reading

Soooooooo, since I am a reading teacher, it has always been a struggle for me to know how much to push the boys to read. What age to start the big push, etc... We've been doing letter recognition, letter-sound correspondence since they were 2. This year I really started hitting phonemic awareness real hard and they've done great. So this week, I took the plunge. After all, they are 5.5. We started with the -at family and the -ap family. We brainstormed words, created a word ladder and then read some words in isolation on the white board. Then we read a phonics reader that I have called "Rat Naps." They did it! They read the book! We sounded out some words and looked for chunks. IT blew me away - they actually read a book! So I guess we'll continue the phonemic awareness and add in some word building and reading. What a thrill for this teacher momma!

Rylan wanted to write a word - so he picked "rat" just to gross us out! Gotta love his humor!
I was really was impressed with Jacob's word... I wrote "lap" and we read it. Then he asked for he maker. I have marker control issues, but gave him the marker. He added "top" to the end of lap to make the word "laptop." All on his own!!!
Here's to more reading and writing!

1 comment:

M Smith said...

Kim, That is awesome! It is so exciting when you experience this with your child. Since you're a teacher makes it even better! You do such a good job with them. Grandma is so proud of them!