2013 was a hard year. Yes, it had some wonderful memories (like Disney World) but overall it was a hard year. I taught in the public schools half-day until May and it was a tough adjustment for our family. After much prayer, I decided not to go back this fall. Funny thing though is that before teaching LLI, it was my "dream job." I guess dreams change...
I was so busy doing "church work"... like planning VBS, presenting at the Austin Bible Teacher's Workshop and at our own congregation, planning Bible Power Zone and Summer Reading Club, planning Mugs and Muffins and teaching first grade on Sunday and Wednesdays... I was just so busy that I seemed to have lost sight of the real goal. So I am trying very diligently to FOCUS on things above, not on earthly things. Even things that are good works for the Lord. I'm rambling... the point is this: I want my heart to be focused on GOD not being busy. So I've cut back some and am finding my heart is more full than before.
As a new year rolls around, it is naturally a time for reflections and thinking ahead. For this year, my verse is Philippians 3:13-14..."Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." My thoughts began rolling about pressing toward the goal of heaven (as opposed to something I can cross off my to do list). Then I read an article in Christian Woman that used this verse. Her point was to appreciate the past and learn from it, but not to dwell on the failures or mistakes. Take those short-comings and turn them into a blessing for tomorrow. The very next day after reading that article, the preacher at a church we were visiting in DFW, preached on this verse! I think God was using his powerful 2x4 to tell me to take notice!!!
So my "word" for 2014 is... FOCUS! I was to stay focused on the chores I do around the house and not get distracted. I want to focus on things above, not on earthly things. I want to focus on Jason and our marriage. I want to focus on my boys... who are growing up FAR too fast! I want to focus on my heart and not the deeds of life. I want to focus on the blessings that God continually showers upon me.
So there you have it! Two blogs in two days and some deep thoughts to boot! 2014 is looking great already! :)
7 years ago
1 comment:
Wise thoughts girlie! Ann Voskamp (you know, our guru) reminds us to move forward, take the next step which can be hard to do if we (I) dwell too much on the past or mistakes, etc., which fits nicely with your verse about pressing on toward the goal.
I likey!
Now I need to decide on my one little word. So much pressure...
Post a Comment