As we entered the Presidio LaBahia in Goliad, Texas, we were captivated! They have restored the restored the fort to exactly what it looked like in 1836 during the Texas Revolution. It was beautiful!

The Battle at Goliad was not really battle - it was a massacre. The Texans had captured the fort and were waiting for orders of where to go next. While they were waiting, the Alamo fell. Word finally came for them to meet with Sam Houston near San JAcinto, but on the way, the Texans were taken over by the Mexicans. The Mexicans marched the Texans back to the fort. A few days later, the Mexicans divided the Texans in to 3 groups and marched them out to be executed. Col. Fannin was the last to die. It was a dark day in Texas history.

Even though the events of Goliad were dark, we throughly enjoyed touring the Presidio and learning more. The boys loved running up the ramps in each corner to look out. The fort was built on a high hill, so you could see for miles!



This is a cannon that Fannin used in the battle preceding the massacre.




The Mexican troops burned most of the victims bodies, but many were left in the fields. A good Samaritan came by a few months later and gathered as many remains as possible and gave them a proper burial under this monument. It was very sobering and overwhelming.




After our Texas history stop, we made it to Corpus! At the recommendation of the hotel staff, we went to a local dive for dinner. It was AWESOME!!!



All 4 of us stuffed ourselves with fried shrimp. It was a delicious way to end our first day of vacation!
1 comment:
I didn't know Goliad was on the way to Corpus--but so glad it is. I've never seen the fort/mission/memorial there and I'd love to someday.
I know that all the battles of the TX Rev. were, um, harsh but there's something about Goliad that makes me more sad. I guess imagining Fannin's troops surrendering, thinking they'd be released and then marched out that morning into the fog (was it foggy? I imagine fog) and executed.
That dive looks yummy!
Post a Comment