Sunday, February 16, 2014

Praying for My Family

As a Christian woman, one of my most important jobs is raising my children to know and love God.  One way to do this is the clothe them in prayer...not just Rylan and Jacob, but also Jason and I.  I'm not going to lie, sometimes it is hard for me to pray.  I tell myself that I am too busy to pray... if I sit still with my eyes closed then I will fall asleep... too busy with tasks to stop and focus on talking to my Father... and on and on and on.  The excuses and lies from Satan can really bog down a girls heart!

The winter has been a very spiritually convicting season!  Praise!!!  Jason and I have been taking the marriage class at church, which is powerful beyond words.  The Flamingos started a new Bible study that focuses on discerning the word of God and the work of the Holy Spirit.  In the study, the author keeps pointing us to do spiritual disciplines that I have been lazy about... namely praying and journaling.  So this season, I have been trying to re-focus on both and the results have been wonderful.  Yes, I still struggle, but I have been reminded the importance of being connected to God.

For a long, long while, I've been in the habit of praying while I dry my hair each morning.  I know it is odd, but it is one of the few times of the day that no one is bothering me and I can focus.  I have a prayer thought calendar from Moms of Boys Society that I pray for the boys each day.  I like having a spring board for my thoughts about praying for my greatest joy... Rylan and Jacob.

Today as I was doing my Bible study lesson, she led us to a verse that used to be a part of my regular prayers, but it has slipped from my habits and mind.  But today, I am convicted again!  Praying scripture can be very powerful and focusing in your life.  I went through a phase where this was very much a part of my prayers.  I'm hoping to get back on that bandwagon.

The verse that sent me not only down memory lane, but helped to re-focus my thoughts is Deuteronomy 30:6.  I've changed the verb tenses/pronouns to personalize is for me.  "Dear Lord my God, circumsise my heart and the hearts of my descendants, so that we may love you with all our heart and with all our soul and live."

There were several parts that struck me... praying for the hearts of my descendants.  WOW - immediately this is Rylan and Jacob.  But it also includes their wives... their children... and grandchildren.  I'm reminded of Judges 2:20 that says they forgot about God in ONE generation.  I want to insure that my descendants do not forget about God.  And I am humbled at the responsibility that only one generation can lead to a whole family falling away.

The other part that struck me today was the part about "and LIVE."  SOmetimes I feel so caught up in the hustle and bustle that I don't feel like I am LIVING... I'm just surviving.  So I want to slow down and LIVE a life worthy of the calling God has given me.  I want my family to LIVE in accordance with God's will and plan for our life.  I want to LIVE a life that brings glory to God in all that I do.

So that's all... just some deep thoughts from a momma who loves God and wants to serve Him in all things...

No comments: