Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mugs and Muffins... Marriage Version

A few years ago, Heather, Holly and I wrote up a proposal to the elders to begin a monthly breakfast for ladies that would combine delicious food with an uplifting message.  And thus, Mugs and Muffins was born!  Each month, various church members have spoken on various topics and it has always been uplifting.  

In February, the theme was marriage.  We asked every lady to bring a wedding photo.  This pic that I took is a terrible representation, but it's what I have!  It was WONDERFUL to look at all the photos... to see big sleeves, lace, poofy veils, bows on bottoms, skinnier figures and less gray hair.  It was just precious to see the oldest of the photos... the class and smiles!
For the speakers this month, we had four ladies from various stages of marriage speak for 5-8 minutes on marriage.  Natalie has been married for 5 years.  I represented the 13 years of marriage.  Catherine spoke for 25 years of marriage and Connie has been married for 40 years.  Here's my seat...
 Mom and I had fun sitting together and sharing the morning.  We are wearing red and black because we high-talied it to the boys basketball game after the last "amen."  I pulled the Tiana card for the game, which made me laugh because when I took a "Which Disney Princess are you?" quiz, I was Tiana!
 Here I am speaking.  Public speaking is not something that I crave to do, but I don't mind doing it.  I'm one of those weirdos who has fun speaking!  But, the preparation is my favorite part... digging deeper and learning WAY more than you could ever present!
As part of my lesson, I talked about wearing your "wife filter" as you read the Bible, especially the stories you have known your whole life.  I asked the boys if I could borrow a pair of their sunglasses.  When I put these on and asked them how I looked they said I looked silly.  Then I said I was going to wear them as I spoke to all the ladies, they died laughing!!! BUt then I said, "Do you think they will remember what I say if I wear them?"  And they said yes... so here I am...
Here's an excerpt from the lesson about the "wife filter..."

Then is occured to me… if the life of Jesus is an example of marriage, what specific parts of his life can be teachable marriage moments?  I don’t really remember any marriage  moments except the wedding at Cana and I will not be turning water into wine any time soon!  But it made me start looking at the Bible stories that I’ve taught to children for so many years in a new light.  I put on a new pair of eyes.  *** Put on Glasses*** These eyes are my “how to be a godly wife” filter.  As I read the Bible with this filter on my eyes,  I can learn new things… when I read about Jesus calming the storm, it teaches me to stay calm in tough situations or discussions with Jason and remember that God gives peace in our life and in our marriages.  When I read about Jesus being tempted in the desert, it teaches me to to trust in God’s plan for marriage.  Jesus answered the devil with scripture, which showed that Jesus trusted in God more than in man.  He used God’s divine words to combat evil, not a lowly man’s words.  Jesus never veered from the teaching of his heavenly Father, even when the devil’s view was so alluring.  As a wife, I need to remember that the grass is not always greener and that God’s way, according to his Word, is always perfect.  When I read about Jesus bearing his heart in the Garden of Gethsemane, I now see that he was not proud. Jesus could have claimed his “rights” as God’s son.  He could have shown his greatness.  But he did not, because he loved us.  So as a wife, this teaches me that I should not be proud.  I don’t have to prove that I am great or right or better than anyone else. I just need to trust in God’s plan for my marriage.  When I read about the woman coming to anoint Jesus’ feet, it teaches me to be kind to my husband and do thoughtful things for him. Jesus could have been mean to her.  He could have said hateful words to her and degraded her.  But he didn’t!  Jesus went out of his way to honor the woman as she cared for his needs and not her own.  This teaches me to care for Jason’s needs, more than my own.  As I read about about Jesus going to visit Mary and Martha and see how much Jesus valued Mary by sitting at his feet, listening and learning.  It teaches me to sit and listen to my husband.  Don’t get so busy, being busy, that I miss the person sitting in the same room with me.  I should enjoy Jason’s company while I have him with me.  As I read about Jesus healing the 10 lepers and only one came back to say “thank you”, it teaches me that as I wife, I should show my gratefulness for my husband.  I should thank God for giving me my husband.  I should also thank my husband for the kind things he does.  Instead of nit-picking and griping, I should count my blessings and look for the good in my spouse.

Take some time this week to read some familiar stories from the Bible.  But this time, read them with your “how to be a godly wife filter” and see what you can learn about becoming a more godly spouse. *** Take off glasses***

No comments: