Saturday, January 8, 2011

Scripture Memorization

I wish I was more eloquent and could express my deep convictions on the importance of knowing God's Word. I am so inspired by folks who weave scripture into their conversations and daily life. A mom I deeply respect told me about 4 years ago to use God's Words when disciplining my kids. I'm not perfect, but try my best. However, I must know the Bible, or I cannot quote it to them, whether in a moment of correction or in moments of every day life. I am convicted by 1 Peter when he tells us to be prepared to give m answer in season and out of season for our beliefs.

I want my words to be uplifting, encouraging, truthful, meaningful and kind. I want my words to be pleasing to the Lord and to bring glory to His name. At times I joke about being the "mouth of the South." So this year, my goal is to use that big mouth for good! Sometimes that me mean keeping it shut and other times it may mean praying for a friend over the phone as she is hurting. It may mean teaching a class at church or witnessing to the checker at HEB.

I think one of the most important ways to use my mouth is to teach Rylan and Jacob how to use their mouths...to show respect, not to talk back or have attitude, to have kind tones, to not be a smaet aleck, to answer kindly even when anger is in your mind, to talk all day long about Jesus, to sing of his mercies that are renewed every morning.

While in DFW, we visited Aunt Evelyn. (She is not a blood relative, but was my Granny's sister's BFF and was widowed young and spent every major holiday with us that I can remember - so she is my Aunt, even though not by blood.) Evelyn is 101 years old. In her nursing home room, she had a worn large print Bible on an easel with a pull around magnifying glass. It was so inspiring to see that at 101, she is still seeking God's Word and soaking in His wisdom. During our hour-and-a-half visit, she quoted at least 15 scriptures...woven into her speech. It was beautiful!

So once again, I've renewed my conviction to know God's Word. I am going to join/follow Beth Moore's plan to learn 2 verses a month. You pick on on the 1st and one on the 15th of each month. Record them on a notecard or in a spiral of notecards and carry it everywhere you go. Read it in the car, while washing dishes, while drying your hair, before bed, etc. In 2009, I participated and learned about 20 verses. It really helped me to know God's Word. First you have to read enough to find a verse you want to write on your heart, then you have to commit to learn it. Find someone who you can recite it to each half month and let the blessings flow! I hope that all of you will consider this wonderful Scripture journey...maybe we can share verses with each other and be an encouragement to one another.

So my first verse for 2011 is...

Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me O God and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in my and lead me in the way everlasting."

4 comments:

Heather's House said...

I just love hearing about Evelyn! What a wonderful example...wish we could take a road trip to see her! I also love your verse! We will keep each other accountable! ;)

Missed chatting with you this morning!

Holly said...

How glad am I that we are all taking up this challenge again? Um, VERY!!

Evelyn sounds like such a neat lady and so inspiring!

Ashleigh said...

I am glad you posted about this! I have been thinking about how much I need to have God's word committed to heart and help my boys to do the same. This is a great plan. How do you choose your verses?

Kim said...

Ashleigh... I keep a post it in the front of my Bible. Then as I'm doing a lesson or reading for the day and a verse speaks to me, then I jot down the reference on the post-it. Then on the 1st and 15th , I read over my post-it and chose the one that best fits that week! Good luck!!! It would be so cool to share all our verses...I also steal verses from others doing the challenge. Holly, Heather and I share each time... maybe other will join in as well! :)