Monday, January 31, 2011

Let the Heart Fun Begin!

Now that it is February, we are in full Valentine mode! We did all 3 of these activities on about 30 minutes and the boys loved all three! First we took Sweetheart candy and sorted by color. I drew a circle in colored marker to make a sorting mat.
Then we counted the number of hearts in each color. I wrote the number and cut apart the mat. Then we sequenced the cut mat into greatest to least and then least to greatest. We had a great discussion about greater than/less than. It was a little tricky, but hey - they are only four! They totally got "bigger" and "smaller" but I want to start working on their math vocabulary.

Switching gears to language... heart begins with H. I gave each boy a card with an h on it. I said about 15 words. If the word began with H they held us the card, if it did not then the card stayed on the table. They did really good.
Last, we traced the lowercase h with our finger about 5 times then glued hearts on the h.
The boys totally love "learning activities" as they have started calling them...and my teacher side does too! :)

No comments: