Friday, January 21, 2011

Find that Penguin!

This game was such a hit!!! In fact, we have played it several times each day the last two weeks! We've been working on number recognition, so I made up this game to practice. I had some penguin figures from my teaching days. I took 10 and wrote the numbers 1-10 on the bottom on each. Then I made a simple board that had punched and numbered ovals.

Then I sent the kids to the kitchen for a few minutes so I could hide the penguins in the den. They were mostly in plain sight, but as we have done it so many times, the hiding places have gotten tricker. Then the mad dash to find the penguins begins!

When they found a penguin, they had to tell me the number on the bottom and then place it on the same number on the mat.
I'm not kidding when I tell you, this free game ROCKS! The boys did good with the numbers too. Jacob kept getting 8 and 9 mixed up at first, but after a few rounds, he had them solid.
Happy penguin hunting!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I am TOTALLY copying this and doing it with my four-year-olds at preschool! They will love it. We are doing the letter "O" and the number "15" next week, so I will need to find 15 of something that starts with "O" and play this game. What a great idea!