Monday, January 24, 2011

An early Valentine's Day



Last weekend, Jason and I celebrated Valentine's Day! This show was in town and neither of us had seen it, so off we went for an afternoon out at the theater with a little Cheesecake afterwards.

This show was a bit disappointing. At least 1/3 of the dialogue was in Spanish, so unless you speak fluent Spanish, you did not know what was happening. There were several sexually aggressive scenes... rape, pleasuring yourself, pre-martial intercourse. It was not necessary and very disturbing. But the dancing was incredible and the songs were good. I've heard that this productions director added the yucky parts and they are not in the original. I wish we had seen the original...

And the other thing that DROVE ME CRAZY, was all the phone usage. From where we were sitting I could have touched 8 people who were on facebook instead of talking to the people they were actually with at the show. It makes me so sad that people chose to feel connected to the outside world and not even appreciate the world right under their noses. So that experience brought me to a relization...am I doing the same thing? Am I typing away on this blog, texting, or reading facebook when my two precious gifts from God are being ignored? Am I missing out on their lives in a feeble attempt to "stay connected?" Don't get me wrong, I don't think blogs, texting or FB are evil or bad, but the times that you chose to do those activities may not be the best time. Do my kids walk away from me and not even ask to read them a book because my nose in the computer? Do I type about my family instead of enjoying my family? I think that there is a time and place for everything. So for me, I made a promise to myself, not to be on the computer when the boys are awake. There is plenty of time when they are asleep to do what needs to me done. I decided that if I only check facebook once a day that the world will keep spinning. I don't want to look back and see 2 18 year olds waving good-bye and my only memories are of this screen...

Stepping off my soapbox now... here's us before the show started! Have you seen WSS? Did you like it?

2 comments:

Charlton said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. you should rent the movie and maybe it will change your mind about the musical itself.

silken said...

trust me, it seems like it will never end some days, then suddenly, your kid(s) is(are) 18!!