Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sticky, Messy Fun!

The first time I did this activity was in college at HU. It was Dr. Clara Carroll's first semester at HU and she taught "Teaching Math and Science in the Elementary Grades." It was an AWESOME class! Our little posse was all together and we had MORE FUN making this than any other thing in that semester!

Since I had so much fun making it, when I got my first job teaching first grade, I decided that it would be an annual event in my classroom...and it was! I did not take time to scan photos of my students, but rest assured, they LOVED it as much as I did!

So what is this project??? Here's the book...
Here are the materials...
And here are my sweeties mixing the gooey oobleck! All you do is add a little green food-colored water at a time until you can stir it. (Probably about 1/4 C water to 1 C corn starch)


The neat thing about homemade oobleck is how it changes from solid to liquid as you open and close your hand. It oozes through your fingers and makes a super, fun mess! After reading the book several times, the boys were ripe with anticipation. But, the texture kind of freaked them out!

Jacob, who was most excited to make it, was the least impressed. :(

But Jason loved it!!!Hope you take the plunge and make some oobleck! For clean-up I used my Pampered*CHef stone cleaner scraped on the table and a wet rag - easy as pie!

1 comment:

Janell said...

You are the BEST mom in the whole world!!!