Friday, February 5, 2010

February Tub

Ever since Heather led me to my favorite website, I have been doing these sensory tubs. Allie over at NTFFC gives a great rationale for why to do them. Here's the Kim version: Kids need to build fine motor skills. By playing with various objects they will work on their fine motor (finger control) development without even knowing it! Also, these tubs allow the exposure to various textures and allow kids to practice measurement, patterning, sorting and a whole host of other academic skills. Enough teaching, here's the fun! :)

For February, I got baby lima beans, black beans, heart confetti, and red and pink pompoms. I dumped them all into an old Tupper*ware pie plate holder and here's the tub! The boys used the measuring cups to move the beans back and forth and to see which cup held the most. We also sorted handfuls of the mixture into piles then created ABABAB patterns. Of course, they just thought they were having fun making a small mess!

Notice Rylan's tongue...That cracks me up because I do the same thing! hahaha

No comments: