Today was our last visit with Karen, our fabulous OT. Since the boys were premature, they were referred for Early Childhood Intervention. Their evaluation was in December. Jacob did not qualify, but Rylan had torticollis. Torticollis basically means one side of his neck was stronger than the other side, so he would always look and turn only to one side. Thus began our journey with Karen. Karen came out to the house for about an hour two times a month. She would play with Rylan and push him to his limits and then some! She taught us many wonderful exercises to work on his neck and other skills that popped up. Now Rylan's torticollis is resolved!
I had very little experience with occupational therapy until this experience. My friend Lacie is an OT, but she mostly helps older folks. And the OT's at school dealt with elem.age kids. I had no idea how knowledgeable and helpful OTs are with child development. Karen answered countless questions and helped me learn many "mothering" skills in addition to helping Rylan's neck.
We are very grateful for Karen, her work ethic and her love for our babies. Even though Jacob was not officially enrolled, she always gave a few tips for him as well. We are so much better off for having her teach us how to "fix" Rylan's neck. We are sad to see her move on to another job, but know that she will touch many other families as positively as she touched ours! Thank you Karen! We love you!
7 years ago
3 comments:
Isn't it wonderful to have a professional to help your child who really loves him? I am always so grateful when another adult sees the good in my child and feels a personal commitment.
I am so happy Karen was there for you this past year. And I am thankful there are people like her who are drawn to that type of work.
So glad to hear that Rylan has "graduated". Those boys are so special!
Love,
Rhonda
OT are GREAT people! We had one for Addison for reflux. I never knew there were people who were FEEDING SPECIALIST. Her name was Robynn and she gave us a TON of pointers on different feeding techniques to get our girly to eat more.
Love and hugs,
Janell
I am sure that it has been so wonderful to look back at the past year and to see how far the boys have both come. God really is amazing. Thanks for the update.
Post a Comment