Saturday, October 3, 2009

Part Two...

Our day started at Boston's best kept secret...John Adams and John Quincy Adams birthplace and mansion. In all the Internet planning and travel book reading we did not stumble across this gem. Friday night we were thinking about going to Cape Cod on Saturday, but then decided it was too far for this trip. While surfing for that thought, I stumbled across the Adams National Historic Park. It was one of the top highlights of our trip!!!!!

There is a trolley tour with 3 stops, but we just did the mansion. The mansion is where John lived after his presidency and where 5-6 more generations of Adams lived until they gave it to America as a National Historic Park. It was AWESOME!!! 99% of the artifacts were original to the home. There were very small, carpeted walkways and absolutely NO photos! This the a view of the garden (that John Quincy started) and the mansion. If you ever go to Boston, this is a MUST SEE!!!
Then we went to Harvard...that's right, Harvard! (Channel your inner Elle Woods!) Beth and I spotted a children's bookstore on Harvard Square. It was very "You've Got Mail." Of course, I was in children's book-lover heaven! I bought the boys 2 Curious George books since it was named Curious George Books and their selection was HUGE!
Then we strolled through Harvard Yard. It was slightly surreal to think of all the presidents and dignitaries who strolled the same paths we did. But we actually had that feeling the whole weekend! :)

This is a famous statue...the 3 Lies. I can't remember all the lies...it's not really John Harvard, the date is wrong and something else. But you are supposed to rub the left foot for good luck. So we did!
Then we went to a place where everybody knows your name! We just walked around the gift shop, but it was still fun.
One of my must dos was to ride the famous swan boats! They have been run by the same family for several generations. They are featured in "Make Way for Ducklings." And it is only $2.75 per person! (Which is a stark contrast to the parking...at least $30 every where we parked!!!) Here are all of our feet waiting patiently!
Another boat...aren't they cute!?!?!? A guy (or girl) sits on a bike seat and peddles the boat around the large pond in the Public Garden. It was SO relaxing! After all the walking on Friday,. it was nice to sit on Saturday and take in all the pretty sights of the Garden. We saw at least 5 wedding parties posing and at least 3 engagement photo sessions.
On Friday we missed touring the Old State House, so we went back today. It was one of the better, more informative museums. There were stories you could listen to on the phones, MANY artifacts and an really cool part for kids.

Jason and Scott learning!
After this museum we went back to the North End for amazing Italian food and you guessed it...more canollis!!!

Sunday we had a devo in the hotel and took the Lord's Supper together. That was a highlight of the trip. I am overwhelmed every time I think about the church and how God works in all our lives. Remembering Jesus and his sacrifice is touching whether in an auditorium or a Westin hotel room. When Lacie moved, the girls and I started taking a cup from the center of the tray to remember not only Jesus, but the bond we have through Him and studying His Word. Then today we took Jesus body and blood with dear friends who we only see once or twice a year, but the bond we share through Christ is strong, humbling and incredible. It was a blessing!

Then we were off to Lexington and Concord. We took a trolley tour and LOVED it! The tour guide was dressed in colonial garb and told an excellent tour! I did not remember much about Lexington and Concord, but now feel very well versed in those events.

The North Bridge...when the first shot was fired. Apparently there is some jealously between the two towns. The first shot of the Revolution was fired in Lexington... But the first time the American Militia was commanded by an officer to fire was in Concord. Longfellow's (I think it was him...) poem gives credit to Concord as the shot heard round the world.

Anyway, we walked across the bridge - which is a reconstruction. The original was torched by the redcoats. It really was a pretty creek. We also saw where the first British causalities were buried.
And the famous Minute Man statue!
We ate lunch in Concord at the Colonial Inn. In Concord was the only fall leaves that we saw. However, Beth and I thought they were beautiful and picked up a handful to bring home! Next time we'll go a few weeks later and see all the pretty colors!
We had a very important date Sunday night, so we only got to stop briefly at The Orchard House, home of Louisa May Alcott. I have never read Little Women (gasp!), but now I own a beautiful library edition purchased here! I've started reading it and love it so far. On our next trip to Boston, we will definitely tour this house!

One more post coming about our very important date Sunday night! :)

5 comments:

Lacie said...

*Sigh*

Savor!!! Savor!!!

Isn't history such a breath of fresh air! Love it!

Have you watched "John Adams"- must see. Ohhh. I would love to have seen his home! Bummer, no pictures!

Holly said...

I'm so glad y'all stumbled upon John Adams' home--and that tour ending up being a fave. I hope to see it some day. You and Jason MUST watch the John Adams miniseries. I will pester y'all until you do. :)

Loved the post and all the details you shared!!

Heather's House said...

What GREAT pictures!!! I know yall had such a good time. We need to go back. :)

Heather's House said...

or I guess I should say...you need to take us there. whateva :)

Deborah said...

YEA! Glad you had a great time. We went on an east coast cruise seven years ago and had a stop in Boston. We actually did walk the whole FT, and Pat and my dad took turns with Joshua (then 15 months) on their back! Thankfully, we all wore our Nike's!