Saturday, July 5, 2008

I heart Eric Carle!

What would cause someone to squeal in delight when walking into Kohl's? An Eric Carle display, of course!!! Mom and I ran in to Kohl's with the boys and I actually scared some of the patrons! This is what I HAD to purchase today!
You see, as a former first grade teacher and mom, I have a LOVE for all things Eric Carle! While I was pregnant, Jason read Brown Bear every night (along with Green Eggs and Ham and at least one Psalm) to my growing belly. As a teacher, I love the rhythm and rhyme in his books. The pictures are breath-taking. And the words are repetitive and predictable. All in all, perfect books for children!!!

Back in 2000, I got to meet Mr. Carle. He came to a local children's book store. You had to purchase a book from their store and then he would autograph a total of three books. So below is his signature inside of Does A Kangaroo Have A Mother Too? He also signed Brown Bear and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
I was very proud and excited because inside VHC he not only wrote his name, but he also drew a little butterfly. As I was talking his ear off about how much I loved his books and that we made a class graph of our favorite books (VHC won) he kept drawing. The copy of VHC was mine from childhood.
Here's my scrapbook page from the meeting...
And here is most of my collection of Carle books! Can you say obsessive?!?!?! I know that I have a few more, but could not track them down for the photo. As I was pulling them off the shelf different memories came to me.

Jason gave me Dream Snow one Christmas before the boys. I love how it plays a song at the end. I read Slowly, Slowly every year when I taught about the rain forest - one of my favorite units! Did you know that a sloth only goes #2 once a week? (Sorry, that is gross, but always the kids favorite fact!!!) When we read The Mixed Up Chameleon we would use water colors to paint a new mixed-up creature. I had stuffed characters for Polar Bear, Polar Bear and we would retell that story a hundred times every January. Oh I could go one for hours!
So if you have a Kohl's near you, go today and get your hardback books and matching stuffed animals for only $5 each!!!! Hurry, go now!!!

What is your favorite Eric Carle book?

11 comments:

Charlton said...

That's quite the collection you have! I had no idea Eric Carle has written so many books.

BriteCloud said...

That is so wonderful about you getting to meet Eric Carle! I love your scrapbook page.

We also have loved the Eric Carle books over the years.

I know you love staying home with your boys, but sounds like you are missing teaching, too. :)

BriteCloud said...

That is a wonderful story and scrapbook page about getting to meet Eric Carle.

We have loved his books, too, over the years. I remember Nathan sitting under the stairs in our other home at the age of 2 "reading" Brown Bear, Brown Bear, to himself over and over.

I know you love staying home with the boys, but it sounds like you are missing teaching, too. :)

silken said...

very cool!

Holly said...

Some obsessions are completely A-OK.

Thanks for the Kohl's tip.

Amy McCown said...

Do you have the Firefly book? That is Laytons favorite and it will always be special since that is the first book my mom read to him when he was a few days old. That is so fun that you got to meet him.

Whitney said...

It's so funny that you posted about this because I JUST got home from Kohl's and saw the display as well! My favorite is The Very Hungry Caterpillar!!! I've already purchased it for Austin as well!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, thanks for the heads up! I know you are/were an amazing teacher! What a cool autograph, too, and great story to go with it. I loved this post!:)

abc said...

Thanks for the Kohl's tip! I'm a huge EC fan, too! If you haven't already done so check out his website- it's great. I'm dying to go to the museum. I love all his books, but Brown Bear, Brown Bear is near ans dear to me because Brady said her 1st word (other than mama and dada)doggy to it at 71/2 months! She loved it and still does. I'm super jealous of the autograh. But, I am happy for you.

maria said...

I love that Kohl's has those books! My kids actually loved reading 'The Very Busy Spider' as babies, they loved to touch the spider web in the book that you could feel.

Deborah said...

My boys loved "The Very Quiet Cricket", but I have to say that my favorite will always be "Brown Bear". Joshua could "read" that book when he was fifteen months old, and I can still hear that little voice.