Now let me tell you a little bit about these two wonderful people, Ron and Nelda. When I was little Mom and Nelda were BFF. They did everything together - from shopping, to cooking, to visiting the shut-ins at church, the list goes on and on. Nelda was always like a second mom to me which was fabulous since she had two boys, so I was her princess! She would teach me craft-y things, make the COOLEST gifts, laugh a genuine laugh and tell the best stories. I always remember her singing soprano and you could hear her beautiful voice praising God throughout the auditorium. Nelda is LOADS of fun - then and now. And when we went to Nelda's house, we always went in through the garage and peeked through the window at the top of the door. I thought that was the neatest. They also had these bar stools that she would let me spin on for hours as she and mom chatted.
But the thing that always stood out to me about Nelda is her servant heart. She was always behind the scenes taking care of the widows or the sick. She is extremely thoughtful and always had "a little something" for everyone who entered her door. As I have become older, I have looked back on the influence she had on my life. From Nelda, I learned to be faithful... to teaching children, to loving widows, to your husband, to your kids, to your friends, to spreading the Word. I have learned to be thoughtful. I still have notes that she mailed me when I was little. The hand-written word is so powerful and such an encouragement. I also have learned to be dedicated... as our preacher once said, " She is old faithful and you are young faithful." She has cooked a million covered dishes for anyone who needed it... and never once called attention to herself. So I guess that also has taught me to be selfless.
In almost every Bible study I have done, at some point the author tells you to write who has been a positive influence on your Christian walk. Nelda is always the first person to come to mind. As I read about the Proverbs 31 woman, Nelda pops into my mind.
Here is Nelda reading a book to Rylan and Jacob.
1 comment:
Great post! I love Nelda to pieces. She is so inspiring and such a wonderful example of love and service.
Post a Comment