Thursday, July 31, 2008

Be an After!

"19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

As a Christian, my body is the temple of Christ and I should use my body for service to him. And by having a healthy body, I can stay in service to him longer. And as a Christian mom, I want to teach my children to respect their bodies, not just in purity, but also in taking care of God's temple. So, I should be an active example, and practice what I preach. This revelation led me to realize that I needed to get healthier. I want to be able to play on the floor with my grandkids and to run around with Rylan and Jacob when they are in high school. I want to be healthy so I can do stuff with Jason as we get older. I don't want to be on a lot of medicines as I age. So all of these desires led me to the decision that it was time to get healthy. And getting healthier for me, meant losing a little weight. Enter Weight Watchers...

This is Kim, the Before picture taken on March 1, 2008. I am with my dear friend Holly (it's her Before picture too!)


Above is the Before - taken March 1, 2008. I am with my dear friend Holly.
And here is the After!!! Taken June 21, 2008. I have lost 33 pounds and Holly has lost over 20 pounds!!!
How did this healthy weight loss happen? With these tools for success - my new favorite things! If I was Oprah, I would give them away to all my audience! hahaha

My favorite WW cookbook, Skinny Cow ice cream (which I eat every single night!), trusty food journal and pen, Diet Green Tea, Fiber One bars, lots of fruit and BBQ thins from WW.

And my another favorite WW tool for success... the menu!!! This trusty notepad was in the dollar spot and I bought 6!!! I plan 2 weeks of food and go grocery shopping. I go back after one week for more fruit and milk for the boys.

This photo was taken on July 9,2008... the day I reached my lifetime goal!!! So now I am in the middle of 6 weeks of maintenance and then I am considered a full lifetime member of WW. Then I have to stay at this weight. And one of the most important tools for success... my friends!!! Heather, Tamara, Holly and I have been attending meetings together since March 3, 2008. And we all have had great success on the scale and off the scale! And our group has also grown! There are about 6 other people who have joined the WW healthy bandwagon since we have started.

 Photo
So once you reach lifetime what is your prize - you know, besides all of the healthy things?!?! A cool key chain for losing 10%, a hands clapping charm for attending for 16 weeks, a weight charm for losing 25 pounds and the best... a gold star with WW on it for reaching lifetime.

And another perk... smaller clothes! I NEVER thought that I would see this number in my clothes again!!! Yipee! My old clothes looked like clown pants! So smaller clothes, means a little shopping spree too! :)
So here is the new Kim - 33 pounds smaller, a TON healthier, more full of energy and confidence, ready to serve the Lord for many, many more years. My first goal was to get healthier so that I can play on the floor with my kids and run around the park with them for many years. I want to keep my temple clean and healthy out of respect for God. And with having my priority on making my body better prepared for years of Christian service, it has made the actual weight loss icing on the sugar-free/fat-free cake! I have loved trying new recipes, telling people that if I can do it anyone can do it. WW is not a crash diet, or eating pre-made foods - it is about making healthy choices. And hopefully I can also teach Rylan and Jacob to make healthy choices from the beginning. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. And if you are wanting to be healthier and lose a little weight too, I highly recommend WW! :)

9 comments:

Jody said...

YOU ROCK!!! I am so proud of you and you are an inspiration to me!!
Love you,
Janell

Amy McCown said...

That is awesome. You look great and you should be proud of yourself for committing to this. Way to go.

Heather's House said...

I am so proud of my WW buddy! :) You look amazing!

Daesha said...

We're so proud of you! I hope to be in your (skinnier) shoes soon!

Whitney said...

33 pounds- Kim, that's amazing! You look so good & I'm so proud of you for sticking with it! Very impressive girl! You deserved that shopping spree!!

silken said...

way to go! what a great feeling!

Kim said...

33 pounds?! WOW, Kim. That is awesome. Good for you. Thank you for sharing your faith-what an encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kim, you look great!!!! I'm glad you're feeling energetic and I hope you have a blast shopping for new clothes!

My mom and dad are living in Houston now and they said Edouardo wasn't too bad. B and I were living there during Allison but B was on a business trip and I was all alone...that wasn't fun!

Jenny said...

Congrats!! You look fabulous! What a great accomplishment!