The weekend was a blur of planning the funeral, contacting friends and family, creating a slide show, etc. The funeral home was so wonderful. They made the process easier.
Monday night was visitation.... overwhleming amount of friends and family out-pouring love on our small family. Many laughs and happy thoughts. Granny looked so pretty... all in pink... hair finally looking right... and a peace on her beautiful face that brought chills.
Tuesday was another blur... funeral was packed. SO many hugs and tears. Overcome with peace from our friends... assurance from God's Word... singing of Granny's favorite hymms - My GOd and I, God's Family, I Come to the Garden Alone and No Tears in Heaven...Carl, a friend since 1955, spoke words of respect, of love, of joy that Granny is with God... Ralph spoke of those welcoming Granny home. I love that thought... the one of Ruthie, Frances and the gang saying, "Here she comes!!!!!"
Then we drove to Arkansas for the burial... tornadoes along the way so we stopped 3/4 of the way there. Arrived for lunch then overwhelmed at the graveside... so many cousins of mine that I have not seen in 15 years... ashamed of the time that passed between hugs... I know Granny was smiling to see all of her nieces and nephews showing love and honor to the last of 14 children.
The next morning we went back to the cemetery to say good-bye one last time. The plot was covered in pink flowers. It was a blue sky, a slight breeze, and 7 heavy hearts that we walked to the spot. Then all of a sudden an orange and black butterfly appeared. It landed on a pink rose and stayed for about 10 minutes. Then it flitted in front of Rylan, as if saying "Let's play!" Then it flit in front of Jacob and the chase was on. Giggles soared on the wings of that butterfly. The chase lasted about 4 minutes. Then the butterfly went back to that same pink rose. It stayed there until we left...
I think that butterfly was a gift from God... a glimpse of Granny now... in heaven... a new creature... free from pain and agony... able to play chase with the apples of her eye...
People ask how we are doing - I don't exactly know how to answer. We are SO relieved that Granny is out of pain, out of agony, is whole again, is in glory with her Lord and Savior. But we are sad for ourselves... sad not to eat another chocolate pie, sad not to hear her laugh, sad not to see her get fiesty about something, sad not to hear her soprano voice singing praises to God. We have peace.
So Granny, I do miss you. But I know you are watching us. I know that you loved me with all your heart. I treasure our RV trips, popcorn Fridays, trips to Luby's, phone calls almost daily, your Blue Ridge dishes, that chain on your glasses... There are so many things that I miss, but you left the best parts of you in my heart... your passion for God, your hospitality, your love of serving others. I'll try to make you proud... I love you Granny!
4 comments:
great post...even when I know it must have been hard to write! it was good to see you last weekend.
Now I need some tissues! That was a great tribute to your sweet Granny. You are such an inspiration to me! love u!
Kim, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful post, recapping the experience of the funeral and visits with family. This post reminds me to thank God for the hope of heaven.
Oh my Kim. That was beautiful. You made me cry. I know you both loved each other very much. I could only hope my grandchildren could honor me so. And you do make her proud!
Post a Comment