Friday, May 6, 2011

Resurrection Walk

This idea came from another blog...you bloggy friends have the greatest ideas! To keep our focus on Jesus' resurrection and not bunnies, we tried to have a good balance of both. One of the boys favorite things we did was this...a Resurrection Walk!

Jason read a story book about the Last Week of Jesus life on earth.
Then we went on a walk and looked for things that reminded us of things from Jesus last week... like the palm leaves that reminded us of the leaves that the people laid on the ground as Jesus entered Jerusalem on the donkey colt the Sunday before his resurrection.
This big rock reminded us of the big rock that covered the entrance of the tomb.
This tree bark reminded us of the cross that Jesus was nailed to so that He would die to take away all the sins of the world.
This rose bush reminded us of the crown of thorns that the Jews mockingly placed on Jesus' head. (Notice Jacob using his new toy camera phone to document our Walk too!)
The red of the flower reminded us of Jesus blood that He shed on the cross.
These 3 pear trees reminded us of the three crosses on the hill called Golgatha.

The walk was really neat. It was interesting to see the boys perspective on things. I think we will do this periodically with various sections of scripture. Hope you take a Walk with your family! Every day is a good day to talk and think about Jesus' Resurrection!

4 comments:

Amy McCown said...

Oh I love that one. We will have to try it next year. We did resurrection eggs this year (from Hobby Lobby) and Layton loved them.

Holly said...

This is a great idea and I bet it really made an impact because they were associating things around them they *see* all the time but now in a new way. Very cool!

Heather's House said...

I love that idea! What a great experience for them. I know they were eating that up!

silken said...

oh what a great idea! I wish I would have heard of it when my kids were little. I guess there are always grandkids! thanks for the great idea and glad it was such a HIT with your family