Thursday, December 24, 2009

O Little Town...

A few weeks ago, a local church hosted their annual "Walk Through Bethlehem." We have been a few times, but missed last year. This was the first time that the boys "got it" and really enjoyed the event. The church did an OUTSTANDING job of presenting Bethlehem. The members were clothed perfectly and maintained character to perfection! There were about 20 booths to see as you wound through the streets of Bethlehem. It was hard to narrow it down to our one favorite thing, so we decided to list our top 10!

#10 Seeing a Wise Man and getting gold from him. Rylan ( of course) wanted green. So he picked the very last necklace on the man's arm!

#9 Touching real, live Bible times animals...sheep, donkeys and camels.


#8 Seeing the BEST sheep herder ever! She was in Kim's first grade class several years ago. She's still one of my favorite kids to have taught! :)
#7 Playing instruments and singing on a rug
#6 Eating Bethlehem food...here's some candy.
and pomegranates. We also ate some goat cheese.
#5 Seeing a Bible times bookstore! Here we got to make some papyrus and see how they would write scrolls. We also each got a mini Schema complete with Hebrew and English. (For those of you who know me well know that I LOVE the learn the Greek and Hebrew meanings so Bible words, so this was right up my alley too!)

#4 Seeing a Bible times Wal*greens! We got to smash herbs to be medicine.

#3 Seeing a Roman soldier complete with sword, helmet and shield! Check out Macy's face!
#2 Making stuff! We made rope...
and clay pots...
and used Bible times tools like this ax!

#1 Seeing Baby Jesus laying in a manger! When we got to Baby Jesus, it was well past his bedtime and his mama was rocking him to soothe his tears, so no photo. But Mary, Joseph and Jesus were all in a stable with a manger and lots of hay!

Thanks to our sweet friends for sharing in this great experience!


1 comment:

silken said...

inglothe
we went to this once. I really really liked it. I knew it would be fun, and good for the kids. but I was not expecting to see a real live baby playing Jesus. When I saw that I just immediately teared up. even your post about the baby crying and needing to be rocked choked me up... this is a very well done program and I love the real baby. perfect ending to the night in Bethlehem...