For the last 3 months we have eaten a WW ice cream bar and watched at least one episode almost every night... our record being 6 episodes in one night. And yes, these are all viewed after the boys are in bed! So now we are officially Lost nerds! We tune in to Lostpedia.com often, theorize, talk about the canonocity of the show, discuss Jack, Kate, Locke, Sawyer, Sun, Hurley, Charlie and crew as if we are best friends with them. We cry, we laugh, we get mad, we get irritated with "the others" and we are nervous about what will happen next to the survivors of Oceanic flight 815. We wonder about the numbers, the monster, why is future Jack popping pills, and why did Charlie have to die?!?!?
So now we are done with Season 3 and ready for season 4... which will probably be watched on the computer. I have mentioned before that I have a hatred for the TV, and fear not, this is our only show.
But then about a month ago, I had a MAJOR spiritual revelation. I'm not kidding when I say that all we talk about is Lost... we were devoted to Lost. And that bothered me. We know all these fun facts about the show, talk about what is happening and debate theories every, single day. So here is my revelation... are we that way about the Bible? I mean, the Bible IS our guide. It is the Holy Word of God. Were we reading it every night? Were we as devoted to God's story as we were the story of Lost? Could we tell you as many scriptures as we could Lost trivia? Were we as excited for God as we were about Lost? Unfortunately, we did not like our honest answers to these questions.
So Jason and I decided that every night as soon as we laid the boys down we were going to study the Bible together. We started with 1 Timothy and read a chapter a night. We also picked a verse each week to be our memory verse. We've made it through to Titus now. And we have been trying to "live like missionaries" and talk to people about God with the excitement that we talk about our new favorite show.
What changes have I seen? Now we talk about the Bible too! We are praying together as a couple again. And our house seems like a much calmer place. We still love Lost and we still talk about our Lost friends, but our priorities are correct.
So SPT friends... what is your something borrowed? What are you devoted to? What do your families do to keep your priorities focused on our Lord? And, are you addicted to Lost?!?!? :)
8 comments:
Kim!
I remember you and am so excited you left a comment so that now I can keep up with your blog.
I will definitely tell Jordan I've found you and "GG"!!
Your boys are PRECIOUS! What a beautiful family.
Take care and I look forward to being "blogging" friends!
Kim
There is a special bond with all of us "infertility" girls! It's funny even with 3 I still feel that! I'm glad that is behind us both. Amazing how God works it all out!
We are not addicted to Lost, but we ARE addicted to 24. That is so funny about eating an ice cream bar, because that's what I eat when we watch 24!
ok...you know I haven't jumped on the Lost bandwagon....yet! I just might. I watched the first season...well some of it. So, I really need to borrow those DVD's and get with it. :)
Hope you had a great day...
I know it might be silly to be obsessed with a TV drama, but of all the choices I think LOST is one of the most interesting--there are so many layers.
Good thought about making an obsession over the Bible. Ouch. But very true.
Wow, you are so right. In our household we obsess about the Chicago Cubs line-up. (Well, Jeff obsesses and I smile and nod.) We are getting a little better, but I am pretty sure we still discuss the Cubs more than the Bible. :(
We are totally addicted to Lost. We always make sure the girls are in bed (even if it's a teeny bit early) so we can give our full attention to it. Sad there's only one more episode this season!!
LOST is so fun. My brothers and I discuss all the mysterious details. Have you and Jason ever watched 24? That is what B and I get totally obsessed and have been known to watch 2-3 episodes a night on DVD. It can get some what violent but also many plot twists and turns. Check it out.
Post a Comment