Friday, January 25, 2008

Friends Always Friends

On Thursday I got to see one of my dearest college friends, Becca. We met the summer of 1994 at the HU Honors Symposium. She was from New Mexico and was a little bit country! We clicked right away and those 3 weeks started a fabulous friendship of silly antics, loud laughter and deep discussions. Our freshman year we were suite-mates and had loads of fun. Our sophomore year, Becca jumped to my club. We had a blast at all the mixers, club socials, and even both won "Cutie Pie Awards" that May. She was in the car on my blind date with Jason... but that is a story for another day.

On a choir trip to Paducah, Kentucky Becca told me some horrible news. She was not going to be able to come back to HU for our junior year. We wept together. You see, our friendship was not just loud laughter and silliness, it was deeply spiritual. We prayed almost as much as we laughed. The night before she left we prayed on the Ad. Aud. steps for a long time and cried our eyes out.

At the time it was terrible to see Becca leave, but her leaving HU led her to meet her wonderful husband Dane. He is a Godly man and the perfect match for Becca. So in June 2000, she was my maid of honor and in December 2000 I was her matron of honor.

She still lives in NM and of course we are in the GREAT state of TX. Many miles separate us, but seeing Becca on Thursday it seemed as if not a moment had passed. We squealed, hugged, laughed, ate Mexican food, doted on Jacob and Rylan, took photos, rubbed her pregnant belly, then cried again as we said good-bye.

Reflecting on the people God places in our lives is overwhelming. As I look back and see how certain people supported me and helped me grow into a better Christian, a huge lump swells in my throat. God is so good to us.

I want to share with you the verse that Becca and I adopted as our own way back in 1995. We still quote it to each other.

"I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong-- that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith." Romans 1:11-12

So here is you challenge for today - call or write a note to an old friend that you have not talked to in a while. I know your day will be brightened and the Lord will bless both of you!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Awwwww! That was beautiful! I loved reading about your Becca memories. I'm glad you got to see her and it was like no time had really passed.
Great challenge at the end too. :)

Jody said...

Kim~
I cannot believe this post. I am so serious when I say that I have been thinking about asking you about Becca. One of the very first thoughts that I had the other morning was, " I wonder if Kim has talked to Becca lately." That is just wild. Please tell her hello and that I miss her sweet smile!

So so so glad you got to see her!
Love love love ya,
Janell

Whitney said...

What a blessing that you got to spend some time with your dear friend! Isn't it great to have those type of friends where you can just pick up like you never left off? I'm definitely going to take you up on your challenge- thanks!

Amy McCown said...

I am glad that you got to see Becca. What a sweet post. It is such a blessing to have friendships that seem to pick up right where they left off. God is good to us.
PS - I am still planning on answering the questionaire. I have been in a bit of a blogging slump.