Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Spirit #2

The Little People Nativity Set! Rylan and Jacob got some Mardel gift cards for their birthday and I was saving them for something special. Then I saw the nativity set and I knew this was the perfect thing to buy with the gift cards! So last week we went and got it. This is how it looks with the people all perfectly placed. Every night before I go to bed, I get to play with their toys as I pick them up. Anyway, we decided that the donkey has a WILD mane, but other than that the set is adorable and perfect for little fingers.I have read them several different illustrated accounts of the birth of Jesus. Of course, I know they are not picking up every detail, but they are being exposed and that's all that counts. So several times a day we sit in front of the toy box and use the Little People to retell and act out the account. We have Mary and Joseph walking down the road and stopping at the stable. Then the baby is born and appears in the manger. Then we play with the sheep for a while and have the shepherds come visit the new family. Then we get the three wise men and talk about the gifts they brought to Jesus.
Rylan's favorite part is rearranging the pieces.
Jacob's favorite part is pushing the angel down to play a song.

And they both love to chew on the sheep!!! :)
The birth of Jesus is a very special event. It signifies the arrival of God's Son on earth. We believe that we should celebrate Jesus every day of the year, and not just on Christmas. But when all the world is talking about Jesus, we want to join in and tell them about our best friend and Savior. And as much fun as we have with the Little People and as cute as the boys are playing with it, the real lesson is that God loved all of us enough to send his son to this earth so that one day we could be in heaven. So, even though there is "holiday busy-ness" we encourage you to take a minute and thank God for sending Jesus to the earth and to keep worshipping Him each and every day of the year, not just at Christmas.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I'm sooo excited for R & J!! Not only is it a great way to tell the story and they can play with it for years---it's Little People!!! Nuff said. :)

Heather's House said...

Amen sister!!!

I love Little People....I know R an J will have many fun times together playing with it. Have fun! :)

silken said...

Amen!

and the set is adorable. I think I saw this at the store too. so glad you found the perfect way to spend their gift cards!