I have been late in posting things we are doing to celebrate Christmas, so I will try to be better in the next few weeks. This Monday night we went to visit
Bethlehem. One of the local churches presents "A Walk Through
Bethlehem" every year. It is really elaborate - complete with live animals, dirt raods, hay, beggars asking for alms, people saying "Shalom," the three Wise
Men showing you their three gifts to baby Jesus, rope makers, potter's, sweet treats, cheese makers, fish salesmen and more.
While we were waiting in line to enter the town, there were many live animals to pet. We saw a camel that was much taller than I expected. The boys each pet the goats and sheep.
Rylan was a little hesitant to touch the sheep, but did with a little help from Mommy.
Jacob on the other hand was not afraid at all! We also saw a donkey walking
around the town.
Here is our group. We met for dinner at a new seafood joint that was quite tasty and then we headed over to
Bethlehem with Scott, Holly and Annelise. Annelise is 4 and she was full of wonder and awe of each little detail. It was exciting to see her learn and to think of our boys and how they will react each year that we go to
Bethlehem.
Bethlehem is open only one weekend and we chose this date to see on of my former students in action. Sweet Abigail is now in 4
th grade and working the
potter's wheel. It was so exciting to see her and to see how much she has grown up since first grade.


Jacob and Mommy tried to make a pinch pot at the potter's wheel, but he was a little more interested in eating the clay!
At the very end of the town path there is the stable with Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus. He was a real baby. Walking through the town and then seeing the baby Jesus really made you feel like you were there 2000 years ago. It is our plan to go to Bethlehem every year and teach the boys first hand about life in Bible times and show them the true meaning of the season.
5 comments:
this is a really good one. I have only taken my kids once and really wanted to take my nephews this year, but the timing did not work for us. hopefully next year!
when we went I did not realize there would be a live baby at the end. That really choked me up. they really do a nice job at this bethlehem city. I am glad ya'll got to visit it.
It WAS so much fun! They really go all out don't they? Annelise has been talking about it off and on, so it made an impression. Just wait until your boys go next year--they'll soak up so much good stuff!!
That is such a wonderful experience for the boys. We never had anything like that when mine were little. It was a really good idea.
I'm glad they were able to see what Bethlehem looked like, as well as seeing and touching the animals and all.
I am so sad I missed it. boo hoo! What a fun night! I know the boys just loved it. :)
Love ya!
I love the pics of you all at the 'Walk through Bethlehem'. It looks like a fun time was had by all! I will definitely have to check it out next time!
Post a Comment