Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dad's 2nd Surgery

This has been an unexpected week! Sunday Dad was doing so good! Jason stayed with him during morning services so I could teach class and Mom could care for Granny and Popa. Dad walked 3 laps around the whole unit and then the unexpected. Chills...violent and uncontrollable...fever...HIGH fever...x-rays...tests...blood counts...then the news we knew but did not want to hear... Surgery.

Dad got a pin-hole leak in his colon. So at 7pm on Sunday, he was being rolled into the OR for his second surgery in 6 days. The Christian, and very skilled Doc was able to patch the hole and do a ileostomy. Then Dad was in ICU for 2 days and is finally back to a regular room. His spirits are good, but he is ready to get home. He will probably be in through the weekend.

So what have we learned through this...
1. Prayer is more valuable than words.
2. Christians sitting with you, praying, holding your hands is more valuable than words can say.
3. God has a perfect plan ALL THE TIME, even if we don't get it at that moment.
4. FOlks who bring a bag of snack food and magazines are really angels in disguise.
5. People who offer to take care of your kids are a life-saver and true friends. Knowing that the boys are in good hands, allows Jason and I to focus on helping Dad recover and give Mom a chance to go home and sleep.
6. Folks who bring a home-cooked meal are also a life-saver.

So I have been inspired and taught what to do when a crisis hits a family I love...offer child car, take treats, cook food. Nothing new, just a really good reminder. :) Please continue to keep us all in your prayers!

3 comments:

Momma said...

Keeping you all in our prayers!

Heather's House said...

Hoping that today he is feeling better. LOve you!

Holly said...

I'm sure that sudden change was so frightening but it's good they caught it right away and were able to repair the damage.

I hope he's getting stronger every day and will be coming home soon!!