Monday, January 12, 2009

Bee-nock-lurs

The boys found my dad's binoculars several weeks ago and have become a little obsessed with them. Now that the holiday hoop-la is over, I decided it was the perfect day to make our own binoculars. So we sat down at the table and they watched as I Hot-glued two toilet paper rolls together, punched the holes and tied the string. Then they used stickers to decorate their own "bee-nock-lurs."
We went outside to look for animals. We saw a real squirrel, several birds, a red leaf, the bird bath and a woodpecker. Then we looked for pretend animals. We found a cow, horses (otherwise known as "forces" to Rylan), giants like Goliath and more.

Here is my little detective Jacob... And my other detective Rylan...
After looking around with our binoculars all over the yard, I told them the story of Joshua, Caleb and the other 10 spies. We sang the song several times (Thanks for teaching it to us Lacie!). Then there was a whole new dimension to search... we were the spies of Israel!!! We looked high and low, searching for information about the Promised Land. We saw giants, big grapes, tall city walls and milk and honey. It was so much fun and a great time to teach a Bible story.
So save your toilet paper rolls and have a great FREE activity! :)
Here is the song... it has it's own tune, a I guess a fingerplay chant really...
There were 12 spies who spied on Canaan.
10 (hold up 10 fingers) were bad (do 2 thumbs down)
And 2 (hold up 2 fingers) were good (do two thumbs up)
What do they see when they spied on Canaan? (hold up one hand at eyebrow and look from side to side)
10 ( hold up 10 fingers) were bad (do 2 thumbs down)
And 2 (hold up 2 fingers) were good (do two thumbs up)
Some saw giants big and tall (hold up both arms bent at the elbows like muscles)
Some saw grapes with clusters fall -ll-ll (make hands go up and down like Wayne and Garth)
Some saw God rule over all (hold up both arms above your head so that your fingers touch in the middle)
10 (hold up 10 fingers) were bad (do two thumbs down)
And 2 (hold up 2 fingers) were good (do two thumbs up)

8 comments:

penguinette said...

Love this! Too cute. Colton and Elliette are getting bee-nock-lurs soon. Thanks for sharing.

Heather's House said...

So cute...you are way cool! I love your teacher brain. :) I know the boys loved them. I wonder if Reid would like a pair? ha ha!

Deborah said...

You are such a great mom/teacher! I would love to know the Joshua and Caleb song.

Free toys seem to be some of the best.

Daesha said...

Your mom asked J to sing the 12 spies song last night to the boys. J only knows one or two lines, "10were bad and 2 were good." HA! He's had me singing that all night, and I got to teach him that song. Maybe we need to spend more time in Bible hour.

Deborah said...

Okay, it's totally coming back to me now. I bet it's been ten years or more since I've thought about that song! I read that Bible story to Caleb last night since it was fresh on my brain from reading your blog. Thanks for posting the song!

Whitney said...

You are so creative- thanks for sharing!

silken said...

I love it! oh, I miss those days!! such fun!

Anonymous said...

You're so creative, Kim. Those boys are sure lucky to have you as a mom! I remember that song from teaching (I taught at a Christian school), but I'd forgotten it in my list of songs to sing with H. Thanks for reminding me, we'll be singing that one tomorrow night!! Btw, Melissa and I are trying to get you and Beth to come to NYC (okay, New Jersey, but we'd be spending time in NYC) for a girl's weekend. You in?