Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Weekend of Highs and Lows

Last weekend Jason and I had our first weekend away from our adorable boys... time for just the two of us! We were both so excited to relax, sleep in, do grown-up things that did not involve changing diapers or sippy cups! hahaha! It all started back in October on Jason's birthday. Mom, Dad, Granny, Popa, the boys and I all went in together and bought tickets to a Cowboys game. Now let me set the stage for you... Jason is a DIE-HARD Cowboys fan! He cheered for them when they stuck and he cheered for them when they were Super Bowl champions. He loves, loves, loves them! In the words of our preacher, "They are HIS team!" Jason has never seen a Cowboys game live, and this is the last year they will be in Texas Stadium, so it was the perfect opportunity to make a little dream of Jason's come true.

(My story telling will now be in backwards order. I am too tired to cut and paste all the photos into the correct order!)

We left from the hotel at 10:30. It was 4.6 miles from the stadium. The game started at noon. We got to our seats at 1:05. No, that it not a typo... 1:05 - middle of the second quarter. And that was after a 25 minute walk from where we parked! The parking STINKS at Texas Stadium. I mean , really, it took us over 2 hours to go 4.6 miles! But it was all worth it, really, it was! :)

This is after the Cowboys beat the 49ers and just before our trek back to the car. Jason was truly bursting with excitement the whole game!
And this was the view from our seats! They were awesome! Second deck right in the middle of the end zone. It was a neat view of the game. Even I could see plays developing. But most importantly, Jason loved the view!
Another view of Tony Romo and crew winning! As Jacob would say, "Go touchdown!"
To commemorate our parking fiasco... this was kick-off. So close, yet so VERY far from the action. It was so poorly marked and SO many cars! It gave me Rita evacuation flashbacks
And the night before... This was the view from our room. Jason used all of his points to get us a fancy room on the 29th floor. It was so nice, comfy and relaxing. That is until 10:30pm. You see, at 10:30 pm we discovered that out of 583 rooms, we were lucky enough to get next to a single dad and his 5 yr. old and 3 yr. old sons. They apparently love to play football because we could hear "down...set...hut" until 1:30am. Yes, 3 hours of kids screaming and banging into walls. Yes, on our not-so-romantic get-away weekend. Even after a call to the desk, the noise did not stop until 1:30. Then we finally fell asleep. When what should happen at 2:00am??? A fire alarm. It said "Lobby...Lobby...Lobby" in a very loud computer voice. And in case of a fire, don't use the elevator, so we walked to the lobby. Remember we were on the 29th floor????? Yes, our legs hurt. And I was laughing through all of my huffing and puffing. I discovered that I am really out of shape! haha So we finally got back to our room at 3:30am. No fire, just a faulty wire.
Hours earlier we discovered a FUN place! I highly recommend it for a night of expensive treating to some special occasion... The Melting Pot. We got the Big Night Out which was 4 courses of delicious food! Here is Jason with the chocolate course.
This is what we dipped in the chocolate, caramel, pecan mixture... marshmallows, brownie bites, strawberries, bananas, and rice krispie treats. YUM - O!!!!
Before the chocolate was the main course. We chose Mojo style - which was a southwestern citrus broth that you cook the meat in. We ate filet minon. salmon, pork tenderloin, chicken, shrimp and spinach ravioli. It was so fun to stab a piece of meat, put in the broth of at least 2 minutes, chat, eat and do it again! The whole meal took about 2 hours. So nice and relaxing... and did I mention no Tidy Diners or sippy cups?!?!?
This is me and the salmon.
They also bring out several sauces to dip your meat in. We both liked the ginger sweet and sour sauce the best. Oh - and you also get all the veggies you want. Broccoli, squash, mushroom and new potatoes.The second course was salad. I forgot to take a photo! Jason had southwestern Cobb and I had the California salad with feta, walnuts, cranberries, mixed greens and a delicious dressing.
We are cheese people. In our fridge on any given day we have at least 4 kinds of cheese - usually more! So the first course, cheese, was a BIG hit for us! We choose the original cheese fondue and dipped bread, veggies and Granny Smith apples. It was fabulous!
As soon as our flight landed, we headed over the the Sixth Floor Museum. If you have never been and are in DFW, I highly recommend it. I think it was my 7th visit. It chronicles the life and death of JFK. Truly fascinating info. And we were there on the 45th anniversary.
So here we are... two lovebirds! hahaha But really, it was refreshing to have some time away and get to talk and laugh like we love to do. Being away from the boys was hard, but we knew they were in excellent care with my parents and we were ready to see them on Monday morning.

Speaking of Monday morning... that was interesting... probably the lowest low of the weekend. We spent Monday morning filing a police report because our room was burglarized while we were at the game. Yeah, it was terrible... but we were gone and it was just stuff that got taken. And hopefully soon we can have that mess all cleaned up.
On another high - construction on the house should be starting this week!

7 comments:

Amy McCown said...

We were in Dallas the same weekend and Wes was at the same game. I am sorry for all your bumps in the road, but I am sure that one day you will laugh about your romantic weekend away. The melting pot is fabulous. We have done a lot of fondue in Switzerland, but it makes me sad that they do not do chocolate. They just do not know what they are missing out on.

Holly said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad there WERE some highs because I can't believe all of the other lows and woes. So sorry about the insane traffic, rowdy neighbors and a burglary???!?!!

Kim said...

This is great! So happy the two of you got to do this!! (Love the melting pot!)

Whitney said...

Wow- so many high points to the trip, and way too many low ones! So I'll just comment on the high ones! Glad you enjoyed the game- we are huge Cowboy fans too, but haven't been to a game in a long time. As for The Melting Pot- we enjoyed it too (went for our anniversary one year!) My favorite was the dessert course, but I was stuffed by then! :)

Lacie said...

I loved hearing the story over the phone- such memories!

silken said...

such a Seinfeld approach to the post-love it!

glad you had a great time but sorry to hear the bummer parts too.

that meat dish reminds me of "steamboat" in Singapore, same idea, though with different items.

I would love to go to the sixth floor.

and I thought I saw construction going on around your place! Hooray!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Kim, what a trip! Sounds like the funs were super fun and the not so funs, were, well, really not so fun! It does make a good story though. Maybe your next getaway will be more relaxing and les, um, eventful!:)

You look beautiful, though!