Tuesday, November 11, 2008

HU Homecoming 2008

A few weeks ago, the four of us travelled north for Homecoming at HU. It was the first time that Rylan and Jacob had been on campus, so needless to say, we were SOOOOOO excited!!! Overall the weekend was lots of fun. We got to see lots of friends, but wished we could have seen more. We ate at old favorites and tried several new spots too. We learned to juggle campus time and nap time for the boys. It was too short, but worth the drive. So here are some of the highlights...

This trip was also the first time that we got to meet Isaac. Isaac's mom and I were roomies for three years at HU! We share a very special friendship and even though over 13 hours separate us, we are still super close! This is Beth and I with our three boys... my how we have changed since first meeting each other in 1994. Rylan and Isaac (and Jacob too) hit it off! Three boys toddling was fun to keep up with and a little tiring too! hahaha
First of many pics of our three angels! I see an 8x8 album in the making!
Another highlight was getting to see Aubrey and spend time with her! This summer she came and spent a week with us and we were all excited to see her again! Rylan and Jacob call her "Miss Aubrey" which is so cute! Thursday night she took us to Brick Oven - the newest and most delicious pizza joint in town. Then Thursday night and Saturday night we went to the park for the boys to get out and run around. I also went to the dorm on Friday night and spent about 3 hours laughing, drinking tea, watching Friends and looking at education class projects. Some things never change!!!
Here are Rylan and Jacob with Aubrey.
Jason was super excited to see his roomie Chris and I was equally excited to see his sweet wife Paula. Last summer we got to spend two days with them on our way to TN, so we were anxious to see their baby again. She was 3 weeks old last time and this time she was running around with the boys! We are already looking forward to more chat time with this sweet family!
From a girls perspective the football game is all about who is there to talk to. From a boys perspective the football game is just that - the football game. You know, yelling at every play, hollering and strategizing with other guys. From a toddler's perspective the football game was getting to wear an ultra-cool new jersey, running in the grass and playing in the shot pit pit gravel!
One of the famous parts of HU is the Front Lawn. We, of course, strolled through the trees and down memory lane too! Here is Beth and me... dear friends!
Several hours before the game, we took the boys over to campus to walk around and see the field. They had been talking about the game since Monday and we wanted them to get to have fun on the field too. Here's the family by the goal post.
Rylan's first touchdown! He kept saying, "I play where Daddy played!"

My three favorite boys in one of their favorite places... the 50 yard line.
Jason and the boys walking onto the field for the first time. Jason was so proud to get to show the boys all about football and where he played. We also got to see his position coach, who is now the head coach. It was so cute to see this 50-something big burly man melt like butter and snuggle our toddlers. I always had a soft spot for Coach H and his wife and it was a treat to get to visit with him.
Hotels... we had our fill of hotel life! We stayed at a decent place in town. The boys had fun standing by the AC and making their hair blow up. They would squeal and say "spiky hair!!!! " The worst part was having a dark and silent room while they fell asleep. But we managed OK.
Friday evening we went to go visit Melissa and her family. They have lived in town since we graduated. Beth and I met Melissa our sophomore year and got to be really close friends. Every time we are in town we see Melissa for a few hours to visit. We had lots of silly late night in the dorm! hahahaha This is Melissa, Luke and Madelyn.
And Beth, Scott and Isaac.
And the three girls! I wish I knew how to scan in a pic from 1997. That would be fun! :)

Madelyn is in first grade now! She was such a precious big sister to all the babies. I think Rylan has a crush on her. We are noticing a trend of him liking older girls...
Oh, how much do I love Dr. W?!?!?!? Friday after chapel we stopped by her office and visited for over an hour! Dr. W was my advisor and early childhood professor, not to mention my favorite! Katie and I spent hours talking about how we wanted to read stories out loud just like Dr. W. I seriously could not think more of a lady - both personally and professionally. She had three books waiting for the boys. They loved her office - it was full of Lakeshore toys! A trip to HU is not complete without a visit with Dr. W.

Oh - the HU swing! Another famous landmark on campus! Here is the old saying "Three swings and a ring!" Now it took more than three swings for Jason to give me a rind, but we did spend our fair share of time swinging and talking. I was so excited to get the boys photo on the swing. We have a framed print of the swing in our house and the boys already point to it and say "HU swing."
Last stop on our Homecoming weekend trip was the Old Mill park. This was where Jason and I had our first kiss! It was in Gone With the Wind and is simply a beautiful park! We stopped for a few photos and a chance to stretch our legs! A nice stranger took our family pic in front of the mill.
And this is inside the mill.
We loved our time at HU - then and now. Those were the BEST years!!! For those of you who were there and we missed you, we are sorry!!!! Hopefully next fall there will be many more familiar faces to see... after all it will be our 10 year reunion!

6 comments:

Whitney said...

Ohhh, that makes me miss Harding so much! I'm glad you had a great time with special friends!!!

Traci said...

I loved looking at these pics! your boys look so happy!

Mrs. W was my advisor and I was her only student that semester because her load was so heavy. People were so envious and they had right. She is an awesome lady!

Kim said...

Glad you got to go back for Homecoming! I LOVE the family pic on the Bison field goal. I'll have to copy that idea if we ever get back down there again!

Holly said...

So glad y'all were able to go and had such a great time seeing your old stomping grounds & all your friends. Love all the pics!

Deborah said...

Great pictures. Thanks for bringing back some great memories for me too! Dr. Watson was my favorite teacher too!

Heather's House said...

I love all your pics! It looks likes you have so much fun. Well, I know you had fun. :) I love the family picture on the football field. Yall are super cute!

Love ya~