11:30 rolls around and we are in line at our FAVORITE Savannah stop, Mrs. Wilkes House (see Holly's and Lacie's blog posts) when we noticed the two ladies in front of us in the winding line had bags from the Paula Deen Store. So we asked them if they had already eaten there and how was their experience. They told us that they had just gotten their dinner tickets for tonight. What dinner?!?!? You were not supposed to get dinner tickets until 3:30... and once they are gone, they are gone. You are out of luck! SO Heather whips out her cell phone in lightning speed and dials Paula's. The hostess tells her they are taking 8:30 reservations right now. So Heather asks to put our names on the list. No can do... you have to come in person! Then Heather asks when should we come in person and the girl responds right now!
Now you see, Mrs. Wilkes is about 20 blocks from Paula's and we had found a PRIME free parking spot earlier that morning. So we had no choice. Lacie and I took off RUNNING through the streets of Savannah - boas, flamingo bags and all! Let me tell you, I am no runner. Lacie is. So as I was getting winded after about 5 blocks we stumbled upon Forsyth Park...WHAT?!?! We were going the WRONG direction!!! So now we turn around and RUN our little feet off in the right direction towards Paula's to get our names on the famous list for dinner.
20 LONG blocks later, we get there. The hostess tells us they have one more reservation for 8:45 - the last of the evening! So of course we took it. As we were walking back to Mrs. Wilkes, Lacie remembers - oh no! We have already reserved a $26 ghost tour for 9:00!!! There was no way to do both! So, we whip back out the cell phones and call Holly and Heather as they are waiting at Mrs. Wilkes. We decided that Paula was more important than the ghost tour. So I called the ghost tour people just to see if we could change our reservation. YIPEE!! They still had four slots for Saturday night! So now we were in the clear - Paula tonight, ghosts tomorrow night.
As we briskly walk back to Mrs. Wilkes, Lacie and I are trying not to die laughing at the sight we were to the people around us. Just picture it... 2 30 somethings in pink boas and the big tote bags running down the street! We did get honked at a couple of times! haha Then we started thinking about our adorable husbands and how they would just roll their eyes at us! (which they did!!!)
So 8:30 rolls around and we got to Paula's early. Here's the outside!
10 comments:
OH YUM that looks so delicious! The pancake and cornbread one made my mouth water! Hilarious story, too!
Isn't it funny how it turned out differently than our expectations? I really thought Paula would be walking around chatting with all the diners. Yeah, right! The key lime pie was DEE-lish though.
Thanks for making the mad dash to get our names on the list! :)
I've been describing your trip to my girlfriends. We are so going to do this ...
That key lime pie looks divine. I am sure you will be laughing about you two running across town for years. Picturing you guys is so funny. It makes me hungry for some good southern food.
I love the pics of all the yummy food, especially the Key Lime Pie--one of my dad's favorites. Even though, Paula wasn't there, it sounds like an exciting time just experiencing everything.
WOW. The pie looks great & I LOVE anything Paula! :) Sounds like you had such fun!
FUNNY!!!!
Oh my goodness! What a fun trip. My two best girlfriends and I have been toying with the idea of a Savannah trip. I must say, the biggest reason I would want to go there is to go to "Lady and Sons" restaurant. I just love Paula. Joshua was 18 months when her show started on Food Network. Even at that age, he would look at the screen and say, "Mommy, it's Paula Deen!" I am no TV watcher, but I am a HUGE Paula fan.
I just made a post dedicated to you and holly and lacie
http://silken-didyouknow.blogspot.com/2008/03/did-you-know-we-saw-flamingo-in-petting.html
Way jealous of your meal...how amazing does that biscuit look? We just got back from Nashville and got to have biscuits at the famous Loveless Cafe (as seen on Throwdown/Food Network). I know those suckers will be everflowing in heaven!
Post a Comment