Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Touchy Feely Box

This is another idea from my favorite website! It was super easy, cheap and fun! All I bought was a bag of black beans and a bag of barley. This was a great way to work on fine motor skill development and the boys did not even know it! :)

To make - pour the beans and barley into a plastic container. Then hide several small plastic toys in the beans. Kids dig for them and you will love hearing all the squeals! I hid spider rings with the ring cut off, spider pencil toppers, 2 small plastic bats and 2 bat rings with the ring cut off. All of that stuff was in my teacher stash, but you could easily find at a dollar store for any theme.

Then the boys dug in!!!


After they found all the critters, we had a math lesson! First we sorted the critters into a pile of spiders and a pile of bats. Then we took the pile of spiders and sorted by color. Once again, they did not even know they were learning! I love that!!!
We did the entire activity several times and have repeated it about once a day since then!

3 comments:

M Smith said...

This is a very neat idea Kim. The boys look like they are having a good time too!

Holly said...

I love that idea! Who can resist digging for treasures? Not I!

Heather's House said...

Very cool!! I love that idea. I know they had so much fun digging around in all that!