Friday, March 20, 2009

OUCH!

I read somewhere that the hour of 5-6pm is the hardest part of a mom's day. This is a perfect example of that crazy hour for our family...

One Wednesday night before church, I was in the kitchen mashing potatoes, Jason was sitting at the table working on his computer, Rylan was playing trains and Jacob was preaching. When Jacob was about 18 months old, he started saying, "I preach." He loves to try and get on the stage at church. And he loves our preacher, RB. One Sunday, Jason was serving the Lord's Supper and Jacob leaned over in awe and said, "Daddy is near the STAGE!!!" When Jacob preaches, he too gets on stage. His stage while living with Mom and Dad was an upside-down wooden crate. The kind that is about 8 inches tall and 4 inches wide.

SO back to that crazy Wednesday night. Wednesdays are hard... I tutor until about 5:15. Then start cooking dinner so that we can be done eating by 6:25 so that we can all get changed and leave the house by 6:45 for church services. That fateful Wednesday night as I was mashing the potatoes, all seemed well in the den. Jacob was preaching up a storm and was quite exuberant with his point. Then all of a sudden I hear a blood-curdling scream. I run into the den and see Jason holding Jacob. Jacob is screaming, "MOMMA, MOMMA, MOMMA!!!!!" So I grab him from Jason and as I grab him, Jason says almost in a whisper, "Oh nooooooo. He's bleeding." And this is what we saw...
So I walk over near the lamp, wailing child in my arms, trying to keep Rylan off my legs so that we can inspect Jacob's head injury better. There was so much blood flowing...photos do not do it justice. Mom brought me a paper towel...then another one...and another one. I said, "How bad is it? Do we need to go to the hospital?" Jason says,"I can't tell. There's so much blood." SO I say, "Dad, call Daesha and ask her how big a cut for stitches." Dad begins calling Daesha(who is not only a dear friend, but also a PA)....their conversation was a bit jumbled, but in a nutshell, she and sweet Jeremy stopped fixing their dinner and drove like madmen over to Mom's house in check out Jacob's head and determine if we needed to go to the ER.

By the time they got there (about 4 minutes) the bleeding was more under control and this is what we saw through his too long hair. I'm holding a quarter.

So Daesha put back on her doctor's coat for a few minutes and inspected Jacob's head.

Turns out that heads bleed a LOT! No stitches needed! Just some Neosporin for a few days - not even a band-aid! So what is the moral of the story??? Have a bigger stage when preaching. Be blessed to have good friends who know medical stuff and will come at a moment's notice when there is blood involved. Be thankful for a 1/2 inch gash and not one that is bigger. AND thank God for healing!


What did all that head damage you ask? This toy here... And even though it caused drama that night, both boys still love it and play with it all the time! :)

2 comments:

rlbaker said...

awww, poor little preacher man. good thing miss daesha was on call.

penguinette said...

Mouths bleed a lot too. Colt fell a couple of months ago and busted his mouth. I rushed him to the dentist (who is also my uncle. gotta love medical friends & family :) And nothing. Just bleeding gums. But the blood was everywhere! Just a little FYI for the future. I am glad no stitches were needed.