Friday, June 20, 2008

Busy June!

I blinked and June is almost over! I wanted to give a few highlights of our last few weeks...

Last night was our monthly Bunko party! There are 12 girls from church who gathered the 3rd Thursday of the month to roll the dice, look for 6's, eat yummy snacks and do a little yelling, too! Below is a Bunko ... all 6's. When you roll a bunko you get to wear the Bunko Boa that has a trinket from each month's theme tied on to it... an Oscar for movie night, wooden spoon for kitchen night, etc.

Last night was Tea Party! So we all wore hats and got "frillied" up. Some hats were pretty, some silly and some had a fun story!


Had to get an SPT... even though it was not Tuesday! Above is Katirna, Heather, Holly and myself. We had a great time laughing and rolling with the girls!

A few weeks ago, Charisa and I had a joint garage sale! It was my first and we fared very well... enough for a decent trip to San Antonio next week. We sold LOTS of treasures and were able to clean out a lot of piles from both of our houses. But the best part was getting to know Charisa better. We chatted lots preparing and after the sale we spent about an hour sitting in lawn chairs visiting. It seems like in the hustle and bustle of life, we do not stop to enjoy the chats. So my chat with Charisa reminded me to stop, smell the roses and don't let an opportunity to make a personal connection slip through my fingers.

Bye bye treasures!!!!
On June 17th, my maternal grandparents celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary! They met in Pine Bluff, AR during the war and had a typical war courtship...3 months long! They were married on the Lubbock Air Base and then Popa was shipped overseas. Through the years, they have lived in Dallas, CA, IN, Houston and now our little town. They have been a constant support and source of love the rest of our family. We are so blessed that they have lived this long and can share in the boys lives too!
To celebrate we were going to go down to Galveston and eat at Gaido's, but the storm scared us off, so we ate at Saltgrass instead. It was very good! Mom and I have been working on a scrapbook of their early years - the 1940's. It is still a work in progress, but we gave them what was finished. They cried!!! It was a perfect tribute to a happy life together!

Father's Day was June 16th. We went down to Babin's for lunch. It was fabulous! We sat at a table with a lake view. Here is the whole family! I have been thinking a lot about the influence of Dad, Popa and Grandad on our family and it makes me even more convicted to keep God first in our family... to follow Deuteronomy 6 and have Him on our lips, door posts, hearts and to teach God to our family. My Dad and grandpas did a wonderful job of living Deut. 6 and I already see Jason doing it too. It is so incredibly heartwarming to watch my husband grow in to Daddy... and he is a great one!!!

Our church has a new program this summer that I am so pumped about I can hardly stand myself!!! It's called Bible Power Hour. We meet every Monday morning for one hour for singing, a Bible story, puppet show, craft project and a snack. Last week was the first one and it was a great success! We had 30 kids and several visitors. Stacey and I have put a lot of brainwork into this project and with God's guidance it is already turning into a wonderful way to teach others about Him.

I hate it when people move!!!!! I don't deal well with change. Two weeks ago, we found out that some of our sweet friends are moving to Kentucky! He is a cardio-thorasic resident and a perfect opportunity was presented to him to further his medical career. So they are leaving July 1st! We have been friends for about 6 years and had babies together. The oldest daughter was in my Bible class this year and was a joy to teach. They are the type of people that you just can't help but love! They discipline their kids with love, teach them about God and are so kind to everyone. We (the church girls) took Kelly (the momma) out for a good-bye supper at Olive Garden last week. We will miss you SOOOOOO much!
So to end on a happy note, here are my two favorite kids doing one of their favorite things... reading!
Hope you are having a great June! We're off to Sea World in San Antonio next week. Any tips?

4 comments:

Holly said...

Wow, when you put it all together like that June HAS flown by--and you must be exhausted!

Love all of it--especially you and your mom giving your grandparents their album--I'm sure it's beautiful. It warms my heart to see your generations together!

Deborah said...

I have loved your update! Your blog just exudes warmth and your love for the Lord is so evident. By the way, you look GREAT in that picture with your family. Way to go on your WW!

Have fun at Sea World. I'd give you a tip, but I've never been.

maria said...

Whoa! You have been busy! I'm so impressed that you earned enough money from your garage sale to go to San Antonio--way to go! BTW, I don't know if you knew it or not, but 'my' Jason knew Charisa when they were kids at Watters Road--small world, huh?

Anonymous said...

Your boys are so adorable, and they're growing up so fast!!! And you, my friend, look gorgeous and skinny! Love the dress, too! Have fun in San Antonio--we used to go there every year for our anniversary. I miss it!