Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Bluebonnet Day #2

Saturday we got up, ate and decided to hit the road. We had been talking about taking bluebonnet pics for several weeks, but kept putting it off. Looking at our calendar, it was this weekend or nothing, so we packed the diaper bag and the food bag and hit the road. Our plan was to drive about an hour and a half away to a cute country town, take pics, eat lunch and head home. Little did we know what other fun was ahead for our family!

We get about an hour and 15 minutes down the road and the interstate comes to a complete standstill - out in the middle of nowhere by a tiny, country town. SO we decided to follow the locals down a country road and see if we could by-pass the blocked interstate and get to our destination. As we went down the country road, we saw a sign that explained why there were hundreds of people in this tiny town. It was the annual Bluebonnet Festival!

Now let me tell you a little secret - I am obsessed with wanting to got to Festivals. I don't know why, but the idea is very exciting to me. Food on a stick, kettle corn, homemade crafts, games, rides, hundreds of things with the festivals theme, and music! So exciting!

We had a hard time finding a parking spot near the festival grounds, so we parked down another country road and pushed the double stroller in the grass (thanks to Jason's muscles - weak Momma could have never done that!!!) My high expectations were met! There was sausage on a stick, funnel cakes, kettle corn and hundreds of vendors!

Now here is another funny part to our story, in our spontaneity, we did not think to see how much cash we had. When we got near the festival we thought to check the cash flow... after both of our wallets and the ash tray of coins, we had a whooping $3.27!!! So even though the food looked wonderful, smelled heavenly and was actually calling our names, we ate nothing. (I'd like to say the inner Weight Watcher in me would have resisted if we had money, but I'm not so sure. Did I mention sausage on a stick?!?!?)

After walking through the festival for about 2 hours, we left and found the perfect bluebonnet field to take pics of the boys. There was even a red barn in the background! Hope you enjoy a taste of the many pics we took in the bluebonnet field.

Rylan Daddy and the boys
Mommy and the boys - check out Rylan's laughter!
Jacob smelling the flowers. He really blew air out his nose, but at least he's getting closer to the idea of smelling!
Rylan loves Texas too!
I think it is an urban legend, but needless to say, for fear of jail time, we did not pick any bluebonnets.
Our twins!
After being in the fields we decided that bluebonnets smell like root beer. What do you think?
Jacob
If you have never read Tomie DePaola's version of the Legend of the Bluebonnet, go to your library and check it out. And once again, God Bless Texas!

And a question for those of you outside the great state, what things do you do to celebrate your state pride?

7 comments:

Amy McCown said...

I love festivals too. They are just so much fun. I am not so much a fan of the food though. The bluebonnet pictures are so cute. Random adventures like that are so fun.

Matt and Rachel said...

I love the bluebonnet pictures! They are so sweet and what a fun adventure! I always looked forward to our bluebonnet weekend when we lived in Texas....just one more GREAT thing about Texas!!!

ashleigh said...

I wouldn't say I have all that much state pride in good ol' Arkansas, but I do love me a festival. I get a huge kick out of all the little traditions that are held up through so many generations in these small towns. Every year we say we are going to make the trek to celebrate the "Ding Dong Days of Dumas" in Dumas, AR---what the heck? I can't even imgagine what that would entail.

Danna Ramsey said...

Um ... we say, "whoo, pig souieeee!"

maria said...

I absolutely love the beautiful 'bluebonnet' pictures of the boys. I actually don't think I've ever seen bluebonnets up close like that (they are definitely beautiful!)

penguinette said...

Hi Kim, It is good to hear from you. I ask Lacie about you all the time. Your boys are adorable. I love bluebonnet pictures. We are actually under the weather right now. I say we, the babies and B...So I am playing nurse/mom and having to stay home this morning. Lacie said Braden had to go to the dr. on Friday, too. I bookmarked your blog so I can check on y'all often. Mavs need to pull through Tuesday night. Hornets and Chris Paul are a tough team this year. And we have been so stinking inconsistent. So aggrevating. Let's go Mavs!

Daesha said...

Both boys look like natural gardners. They're so interested in the plants. We have ripe kumquat now, they need to come check that out!